The Power Test
We all have responsibility over something, and we will all be tested by that responsibility. We should use our power to share God’s love with a lost and dying world.
So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and
female He created them. Then God blessed them, and God said to them, “Be fruitful
and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over
the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
1 Peter 5:5–6
Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be
submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for
“God resists the proud,
But gives grace to the humble.”
Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time.
Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
- Where does power come from? How do we receive that power?
- What is the role of humility in power? How did Joseph demonstrate humility and patience in his receiving and using power?
- What is the purpose of power? How can we use the example of Jesus to help us use power wisely?
- In what ways or areas of your life have you received power from God? What responsibilities has that power entailed?
- Do you feel as if you have always handled power wisely? In what specific situation could you have used power better? How will you be a better influence on all you meet?